In recognition of World Password Day, Forte Bank is reminding customers of simple steps to safeguard their personal account information and steps to take if they suspect they have been affected by a reported breach.
With more consumers venturing online, it’s more important than ever to stop cybercriminals activity. The bulk of cybercrimes originate as phishing attacks and cost an estimated $17,700 every minute.
Reduce Your Risk
While there is no foolproof way to avoid online identity theft, you can minimize your risk by:
- Limiting disclosed information—Never respond to texts, emails or phone calls requesting sensitive personal information such as your banking ID, account numbers, username, or password, even if the messages appear to originate from your bank, government agencies or officials or companies with which you have a relationship.
- Taking advantage of security features—Update your computer security software and apply software updates to your computer system, mobile devices, web browsers, and operating system to defend against viruses, malware, and other online threats.
- Monitoring account activity—Carefully review statements and check your credit report regularly for unusual or unexplained charges, unknown accounts in your name, or unexpected denials on your card and report any suspicious activity to your bank immediately.
Respond to a Data Breach
In the unfortunate event of a data breach, there are steps you can take to minimize your risk:
- Consider a security freeze on your credit report to restrict access to your credit file.
- Set up a fraud alert, which directs banks to verify your identity before opening a new account, issuing an additional card, or increasing the credit limit on an existing account.
- Shred documents with personal or sensitive information and change your passwords.
- Report stolen finances or identities and other cybercrime to the Internet Crime Complaint Center and to your local law enforcement and/or state attorney general.
Learn more about how to protect your digital life by visiting the Stay Safe Online website.
If you have concerns about your Forte Bank account, please contact our Deposit Operations team at 262-670-3878, or use our secure contact form.